Data environment optimization to match business growth
Microland’s data warehousing solutions deliver a 40% boost to BI and ETL performance for a US-based global leader of sales and service-oriented software solutions.
Microland’s assessment of the client’s data environment showed that the following solutions were necessary to tune and optimize its databases:
- SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn functionality for highly-available data warehouse environment
- Reduction of bottlenecks through segregated business data collection, transformation and reporting processes
- Separation of backup and ETL processes, making them run on replicable databases for access to maximum computing resources
- 40% performance improvement leading to enhanced customer experience
- 99% availability of data environment leveraging AlwaysOn feature
The client is a leading global provider of sales and service-oriented software solutions spanning big data, predictive analytics, virtual agents and real-time decision making. The organization has been recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Most Promising Companies in 2013.
The client’s business was growing year-on-year at ~15%, placing pressure on its IT infrastructure Management.
The inability of its data warehouse to cope with data complexity, volume and variety was leading to:
- Degraded customer service resolution
- Downtime affecting its ability to maximize business opportunity
- Erosion of brand image
The client decided to optimize its data warehouse environment and improve its scalability and efficiency.
Microland did an assessment of the client’s data environment (2 Windows 2012 Server and 2 SQL Server 2014 instances) and implemented the following solutions to tune and optimize its databases:
- Design and configure a highly-available data warehouse environment using SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn functionality
- Segregate business data collection, transformation and reporting processes to reduce bottlenecks
- Separate backup and ETL processes, making them run on replicable databases so that they have access to maximum computing resources
Microland’s methodical assessment and tuning combined with the use of niche tools and industry best practices transformed the client’s database ecosystem in just 40 business days with the following benefits:
- Enhanced customer service experience through performance improvement of 40% for BI and ETL processes by segregating BI, ETL and backup processes
- Improved robustness and availability of data environment through performance tuning and leveraging the AlwaysOn feature