MANAGED BACKUP AND REPLICATION SERVICE FOR REDUCED FAILURES
Microland improves Backup and Replication Management for a leading organization that provides specialized disaster recovery services to ~500 customers across North America and Europe
▼ Reduced backup failure tickets from ~13,000 to ~2,500 per month
▲ Improved backup success rate for Netbackup and Commvault from 67% to 99% consistency
The client has 40 years of disaster recovery experience and over 70% of Fortune 100 companies rely on them for the design, build and run of resilient and recoverable IT environments across legacy, cloud and hybrid infrastructure.
The client received ~13,000+ backup failure tickets every month from ~500 customers. The volume of tickets was affecting turnaround time. Adding to the problem was the fact that the client had seven different backup/ replication products used across North America and Europe, a majority of client server agents were running on older versions, there was no tool to integrate the products and many of the products had reached end of life.
Across the ~500 customers, the total number of clients backed up was 26,000+. Included in the managed back up operations were 40 changes per month with around 5 new implementation tasks per month.
Microland performed upgrades for 10,000+ legacy/ out of date client servers. With effective problem management the backup failure ticket count was reduced from ~13,000 to ~2,500 per month. The backup success rate for Netbackup and Commvault (the only products with reporting tools) was improved from 67% to 99% consistency with SLA bound restoration.
Microland’s interventions included:
- Client Server agent updates and upgrades
- Troubleshooting and addressing replication failures between source and target
- Restoration from backed up or replicated data to production (source) infrastructure or DR infrastructure.
- Implementing backup for newly on-boarded servers
- Streamlining database backup jobs in Netbackup and Televault (that reduced 50% of Transaction log backup failures)
- Updating/ reconfiguring existing backup and replication jobs/ schedules
- 80% reduction in the number of incidents
- Significant cost savings due to reduction of 50% in backup failures
- Achieved an average backup success rate of 99.8%
- Happy customers and support staff due to the improved quality of service and ability to provide better services