A Fortune 20 conglomerate streamlines AWS instances
Microland reduced turnaround times to launch new AWS instances for developers and increased scalability of infrastructure for a Fortune 20 conglomerate
Drawing upon experience from previous AWS implementations and its automation expertise the Microland team transformed the client’s AWS environment.
▼ 40% reduction in turnaround time to launch new AWS instances
The client is a US-based Fortune 20 enterprise deeply engaged across segments such as power and water, oil and gas, energy management, aviation, healthcare, transportation and finance. The client, operates in more than 100 countries and employs over 300,000 people, has more than 38 datacenter locations for which Microland provides ongoing 24/7/365 support to govern, execute and report build and refresh activities worldwide to improve KPIs and meet business demands.
The client had a large Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment and had three key goals:
- Enable the application of its standard security protocol for AWS instances.
- Address challenges in monitoring and managing the workloads deployed on AWS (availability of instances, application specific services, disk space, memory, swap, and local time).
- Enable its development users, with no formal AWS skills, to independently launch instances in a controlled manner
Microland’s solution encompassed an automation-led AWS ongoing management services including the following:
- AWS, Chef and Scalr based automation solution
- Fully automated provisioning of AWS Dev infra setup through CloudFormation and Chef recipes
- Creation of enterprise certified Amazon Machine Images (AMI) for self-deployment by developers
- Monitoring of workload parameters using Nagios with Splunk
- Identification of automation opportunities for compliance and turnaround time (TAT) reduction
Using our solution, the client was able to exploit the full potential of its AWS environment. The major benefits included:
- 40% reduction in TAT for development users to launch new instances and stacks in AWS
- Simplified management by unifying six services lines providing AWS support into one service line
- Streamlined service thanks to “first-point-of-contact” for all cloud-related issues
- Improved security and compliance through automation