SERVICE DESK SUPPORT FOR ENHANCED USER EXPERIENCE
Microland’s Service Desk expertise and processes for continuous improvement ensure the client accesses high quality services while simultaneously reducing costs by leveraging a knowledge base. The client was also able to measure and track the quality of their IT service—a capability that it lacked before Microland’s intervention.
▲Speed to answer 80% of Service Desk calls improved from 45 seconds to 5 seconds
▼Repeat customer contact reduced from 7% to 2% within a span of 8 weeks
The client is a leading provider of environmental solutions to 21 million customers across the US and Canada. They offer recycling facilities, transfer stations and landfill services to a wide range of customers including municipalities, construction sites, healthcare facilities, and commercial buildings.
The client wanted to move from ‘customer satisfaction’ to ‘customer delight’ for its IT support operations. The additional objectives were to reduce cost and seek high quality Service Desk support that could improve employee productivity. The overall scope included 40,000 user devices across the client’s operations in the US and Canada and 18 customer experience/call centres catering to 21 million end customers in 500 remote sites.
Microland’s Workplace Services practice began by transitioning the Service Desk from an in-house model to an offshore model and transformed it across the dimensions of operational rigor, team enablement, knowing the customer, measuring the right metrics and collaborating for innovation. This was achieved by:
- Implementing ITIL-aligned Service Management principles across the Service Desk and with other IT stakeholders, enhancing visibility and process maturity
- Measuring service downtime impact on end users, prioritizing high value impacts and forcing agents to restore prioritized users, leading to enhanced productivity
- Enhancing Service Desk agent performance by creating a knowledge base for common issues leading to faster issue resolution
- Automating the top 10% recurring issues, in a cycle of continual innovation, thus enabling the Level 1 team to resolve issues faster in comparison to transferring calls to multiple levels
- Transitioning from a multi-question survey format to a Net Promoter Score (NPS) thus measuring true end-to-end Service Desk capability
- Integrating voice-based systems with ITSM ticketing system to identify the customer (and profile) before the customer reaches the Service Desk
- Collaborating with other IT groups/resolver groups to transition from being just a Service Desk to being a true IT business partner
Microland’s expertise in assessment and the methodical application of processes were central in meeting the stated improvement goals:
- Improvement in Customer Satisfaction with repeat customer contact reduced from 7% to 2% within a span of 8 weeks
- Significant reduction in Service Desk costs
- Improved workforce productivity
The transformation enabled continuous enhancement of the Service Desk, resulting in the client extending the engagement to address complete integration with their IT team. Microland’s process-focused solutions also reduced the dependency on individuals.